Monday, March 19, 2007

..lie there and suffer...?

General Peter Pace Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff opposes openly gay soldiers in the military (read Nurses)
I may as well post my recent addition to a NY times online discussion on this subject...

" I’m a Critical Care Burn Nurse-I worked to save the lives of the Burned victims of 9/11 here in NYC.
Sometimes when I hear the small minded idiocy and squirming of the ilk of the general and his supporters, I entertain the idea of NOT taking care of a burned and badly wounded straight soldier (” lie there and suffer! “)
If I was in the army they would throw me out- as they have other gay Nurses- Because I’m gay.
I really don’t know what soldiers do to their wives/girlfriends in bed, but it seems the imagined sexual acts of Gay soldiers are really what these ‘men’ are scared of. They are scared of Homosexuals. And to defend a sick policy on the basis of the fear engendered by thoughts of what I may do sexually to others or them is just incredible. Wimps! Call yourselves brave?
To all those I say-
I am a critical care nurse- I am trained to comfort, care for, palliate and heal my patients on many levels. I will take care of you if you are injured, and you will be lucky to have me as your nurse, I can guarantee you that. I can save your life, and I would try, regardless of what I think of your private life. Will you be thinking of what I might do to you in my bed, as you lie in pain dying in your own? I think not.
Remember me."

No comments: