Thursday, May 24, 2007

Peppermint soap, ipods and chiggers!

In case anyone is wondering what the best things to bring to Africa are when packing...well I have a few suggestions-
Most important is an
* electric adaptor, cos you know there's gonna be electricity at some time ( I never said constantly) and probably of dubious origin - and without that you can't plug in your *WAHL clippers....for us 'mens' the clippers are very important- this year instead of bringing a rechargeable one with its attendant transformer/dock I am bringing a plug-in one cos it's better quality. In Burundi we had many happy hours cutting each others heads and then not being able to wash the hair off as there was a water ration...
Of course an* ipod, but you know I did not listen to it as much as I thought I would. I was so alive to the sights and sounds of where I was, and alert to possible ' Danger' that frankly, listening to an ipod seemed a little careless and crass. Especially when you have a walkie talkie with you at all times. The ipod is good for traveling, or to block out sounds or when you are safe (are you ever?). I also found myself listening to it more towards the end of mission- I guess I was preparing to re-enter the world I had left behind.
*Dr. Bronners Peppermint soap. Big Bottle. You can- shave -wash yer arse- wash anything- hair -face- clothes etc. etc. and it's cooling and smells nice . I think this may be particularly useful in CHAD where I do believe its 105 degrees f. at the mo'.
Maybe a *nice cologne/perfume. I have a few I like and I don't know which to bring. Remember, this smell may become very associated with your mission in the future and may bring all the memories back as these things do. SO, if you have a shitty mission you may associate your cologne with that , and will never want to smell that smell again....
I have a deodorant that I bought in Bujumbura in 2005. It's still at my house and I never use it except to open the lid to sniff to remind me of the mission.
*Deodorant- I don't know about this ackshully...In Africa in a hospital you soon acutely realize that most -sorry, NO people use anti-perspirant/deodorant and I got used to it, even welcomed it... and would only recommend a deodorant that is not occlusive, and mild or none at all. My personal favorite is Body Shop men's deodorant stick.
*Scrub pants- If you have a couple bring em, they are so light and I rolled them up when it was warmer. And you can leave them with the staff when you leave. You should plan to bring things(shoes, pants) that you would be happy to pass on to the National staff. They are very appreciative of this, and it means you travel light- as you should- all the way home.
* Birkenstocks...they are so comfortable...and pretty durable but you can get CHIGGERS even tho' you wear these ( or flip flops) the Chiggers are in the dust which gets on your feet through any openings. I never forget when I was at the base one night and I told the Doc. I had a white pimply spot on my foot. I joked " its probably a chigger'. We lanced it and sure enough it was a little larva curled up..ugh. I was both excited to have gotten one of these legendary creatures and disgusted at the same time. It hurt to pick it out as Martijn was very surgical about it. AND--The excitement certainly subsided when I got another chigger two weeks later.
Anyway this is the list for the moment...I'll think of more stuff or you can add some of your own.

No comments: